Sunday, September 11, 2011

Boys' fort

My oldest two are overjoyed to have their own fort, at long last!
They planned and toiled and sawed and hammered.... my favorite part of the process (from a spectator's point of view) was the part I took middle boy to UFA to get hardware. They needed some hinges and handles to take the project to the next level. We enter store and are overwhelmed, as always, with the sheer magnitude of inventory this place has. So we wander until a UFA employee spots us and helps. This man is a gem. He talks directly to my son, as though this is an important purchase to be considered carefully. I suppose to my 10 year old, it is. The man asks him how many doors the 'fort' will have. With furrowed brow, counting on his fingers, my kid resembles a Norman Rockwell painting depicting youthful gravity of situations such as this. "One door in the front, a flapping window, and the escape hatch." The man nods, and together they determine the hardware that would best suit the requirements of the fort. Not once did the UFA guy defer to me (except when it came time to pay, naturally) or act in any way but in a serious manner. Several minutes later, we leave the store with a bag of hardware and a kid one step closer to the ultimate fort.

3 comments:

  1. Aw, your boys are getting so grown up! Some people are so great with kids. Wish I was more that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I bet that was fun to watch! Isn't building forts just so fun? Although I remember really sucking at fort building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, that is fantastic life experience. As a child, I would hyperventilate and hide behind my mother if a salesperson so much as looked at me. That fort is lookin' good!

    ReplyDelete