Sunday, November 7, 2010

Floor Sander Rodeo part 1

We are building a new house out on an acreage near the city we now live in.
We have opted to only put flooring in only parts of the the house for now until we've saved enough for hardwood for the remainder of house. Leaving us in the quandry where something must be done to the exposed sub floor.
As I've done an entire faux marble mosaic, as well as fake hardwood for the stage at our local theatre productions, I was initially eager to do something spectacular. Our time crunch, however, is hard to ignore. So its looking like we'll be staining the exposed OSB which will entail sanding floors and applying stain, followed by a sealer.
The first step is getting both levels of the two storey sanded.
Oh what fun prep work can be (she said sarcastically).
Picked up sander at local tool rental place and loaded into pick up by rental place young fella. Said young fella was doubtful that I could lift sander myself, but I smile patronizingly and rolled eyes at his naivety. Thinking smugly to myself: I can lift all three of my sons at once, what does he know, that silly boy?
Fast forward to later at acreage and attempting to lift the thing down from the back of the truck.
Holy mackeral.
The thing is a beast.
I pulled it to the edge of the tailgate and came very close to flattening a toe as the beast decended. The thing is 90lbs, easy.
I sweat, I curse, I cry. I get the thing to the bottom of the stairs in the house.
Then I sit.
Floor sander and I stare it out.

I skip the sweating and cursing and cry some more. This is when I come to the realization: either I suck it up and carry the sander up myself, or its going to remain at the bottom of the stairs and I'll get charged $150 for the rental (meanwhile I'm paying a sitter, so two meters are running).
I take a deep breath (is this how people can walk over hot coals or lift cars in emergencies I ask you?) and I wrapped my arms around that monster, and somehow got it up there. I think it took about eight seconds.
My back will likely never be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment