Monday, November 8, 2010

Floor Sander Rodeo: Part 2

Sander arrives at top of stairs. My back is twinging.
I thought the worst is over.
I am so very wrong...

If you ever rent one of these mother truckers, here are some things to be aware of (trust me, I learned the hard way):
  • the sand paper is a wide belt that you slide on from the side, reminiscent of changing a tire. Getting the sandpaper on or off, however, is much more difficult than changing a tire. Kinda have to wiggle it.You'll get the hang of it... on the last one.
  • listen to the experts. if they tell you 60grit will shred your floor, they are probably right... I have a wavy master bedroom floor to prove it
  • the floor sander will take on a life of its own once plugged in. READ: you will be pulled behind the moose of a machine like a kid on a sled behind a snowmobile.
  • KEEP MOVING! Or you will make a pothole *inside* your home. Nobody wants that.

I'm not sure if this particular model is standard, but there was a large strip of rubber that had come loose and periodically would get caught under the belt and would snap back which was a little disturbing. Eventually I pulled it off, only to realize its purpose was to protect the walls. I now believe I will require witness protection from the painters as there are rubs and lines in every room. All curiously at the same height. 
Then there is the dust. The sander comes with a cloth 'dust catcher'. The bag was purely decoration. There was dust in my hair, clothes, up my nose (despite face mask), IN MY SOCKS (how, I ask you?), and all over the walls (yet again, witness protection program).
And the rodeo continued.
At one point, I sanded over the extension cord.
Then the switch on the machine crapped out completely and the only way to turn the thing off was to unplug it.
Photo is prior to sanding, there was too much dust afterwards to get a clear shot. :o

Once the rodeo is over the cowboy rises from the dust, broken but triumphant.
He lived to tell the tale.


No comments:

Post a Comment